Virtual 685, Lessig, and CCCC
Fastwrite: Since we did not meet together last week, I’d like us to spend some time thinking about the work we did online. Please jot down a few lines about what most interested, provoked, or amused you about:
- Lessig, Remix
Fastwrite: Find a passage in one of the following texts that helps you formulate a question for Richard Miller (and the rest of us):
- Fitzpatrick, Planned Obsolescence
- Miller, text2cloud
- Miller, “Habits of the Creative Mind”
- Your x6s, and the various texts mentioned in them.
Your proposals will count as x7 and will be due on Tues, 4/08, at 11:59. Unless people feel uneasy about doing so, I suggest that they be posted online, so you can get feedback and advice your colleagues in seminar as well as me.
Your proposal should address the following issues:
- What texts or other materials do you plan to work with?
- What question or problem will your writing address?
- What sort of format are you imagining working in? (E.g., WordPress, Tumblr, video, podcast . . . )
- Can you identify a text that could serve as an approximate model for the sort of piece you’d like to compose?
- What questions do you have at this point for me and your colleagues?
A proposal is not a contract. I expect that your ideas for your piece will evolve over the next several weeks. Your aim for now should formulate a sense of your project in terms that are specific but open to revision, that describe what you want to do in ways that allow the rest of us to offer you advice.
- Tues, 4/08, 11:59 pm: Post your digital essay proposal to this site.
- Thurs, 4/10, 11:59 pm: Post advice and feedback to those proposals you feel you can help with.
- Fri, 4/11, class: Be ready to discuss Christopher Johnson’s Microstyle.